Re: Incorporation

Subject: Re: Incorporation
From: Michael Blair <mjblair -at- TOTAL -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 16:17:46 -0500

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999 23:09:36 -0500, Keith Bennett
<bennettk -at- EROLS -dot- COM> wrote:

> Hello Folks:
>
> I've got a great opportunity coming up to work with a software development
> company to produce documentation, both print and online, for one of their
> products. I spoke with the project manager of the company and things seems
> fine. One problem, however, was that he said I would have to be
> incorporated as the client for this project is the federal government and
> suggested - no insisted - that I be incorporated to be paid as a
> subcontractor. I thought this very odd as I've never encountered this
> situation before in my contracting career. I've been reading Peter Kent's
> book on the subject and pretty much agree with him that there is no real
> reason why I should become a corporation for this job.
>
> Is there? Is this the norm for federal government contracts? I would really
> appreciate any and all thoughts on the subject.

My major client will not write cheques to individuals, only companies. I
don't have to be incorporated, just registered (sole proprietorship) which
in Quebec costs about CAN$30 per year. Perhaps there's something similar
there.

HTH.

--
Michael Blair
Blair Technical Communications Tel: (514) 989-8713

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=