MS and NetWare (WAS File Corruption)

Subject: MS and NetWare (WAS File Corruption)
From: Brian Flaherty <brflah -at- COPELCO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 10:38:54 -0500

Here's one tip for dealing with network file I/O, especially for dealing
with large, complicated files:

If you're working on a file or group of files for the day (a major manual
section, for example), copy those files locally to your PC, and work on
them from the PC.

At the end of the day, save the edited files back to the server overwriting
the ones on the server (or, move the OLD files on the server to a BACKUP
directory, and put your newly edited files onto the server's active
directory). This alleviates network bandwidth congestion and decreases the
chances of packet damage which often results in "rebroadcast requests" and
can lead to corrupted server/network files.

Local PC file I/O is quicker and more secure than client/server file I/O.

Caveat: This can interfere with file sharing, since files stored locally
on your PC may not be available to your workgroup.

FWIW

Brian Flaherty ICS
Paramus, NJ

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=