Corrupted files on a network?

Subject: Corrupted files on a network?
From: "Geoff Hart (by way of \"Eric J. Ray\" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>)" <ght -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 10:49:10 -0700

Carla Townsend is <<... using Frame 5.5.6 for the PC. The Frame
application resides on my PC, but I keep most of my files on the
network. From time to time, I receive the following message when I
try to open a file on the network: This file has been corrupted.
Please check your file system, disk, and network. Try opening the
most recent backup file.>>

I've got a hunch I know the source of your problem. Windows 3.1 (and,
I believe, Win95, which I'd assume you're using) don't cooperate well
with Novell Netware, whether because of the usual shoddy quality
control by Microsoft or from more sinister reasons (i.e, Microsoft
sells a competing product, NT Server). We had all kinds of grief
saving or copying files over the network and losing data until they
upgraded both Windows and the Novell software to the latest versions.
Windows finally stopped crashing when the network hiccuped, and we
can finally use the long file names on the network, and the
corruption problems seem to have stopped. It's worth passing this on
to your system administrators just in case they can find an
appropriate patch from Novell or Microsoft.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)} Pointe-Claire, Quebec
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Patience comes to those who wait."--Anon.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=