Re: links in PDF docs

Subject: Re: links in PDF docs
From: Fred Perry <perryf -at- NINA -dot- PAGESZ -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 05:16:03 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Pia Teir <pte -at- citec -dot- fi>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU <TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Thursday, February 18, 1999 3:59 AM
Subject: links in PDF docs

>My questions about pdf are:
>1. I have a document created in Corel Photo-Paint, is it possible in
>this program to generate links that follow the document when printing to
>pdf? (I don't like to re-link in Exchange every time I redo the
>Photo-Paint file) I know FrameMaker can do this, but what other programs
>have the same feature as Frame's "Post Script Code"?

Think of Adobe Acrobat as a software scanning program, because that is
essentially what it does. It doesn't care what kinds of links or embedded
things you have hidden underneath the text, it takes a snapshot of whatever
is on the page, and that is your PDF file. This is why it is so difficult to
convert a PDF to something else, because it is simply an image file. So, no,
there is not a way, currently to keep links from the original text in the
PDF file, except by manually putting them in. There may be some program out
there that will insert the links after the fact, but none that I know of,
and it still won't be Acrobat putting the links in by itself.

>2. I _like_ round buttons, is there a way to make the link type round
>instead of square/rectangle?

No, there's not.

I'm sorry to have to say "no" twice.

Fred