Re: FWD: Re: Job loss through injury or illness?

Subject: Re: FWD: Re: Job loss through injury or illness?
From: Roy Anderson <royanderson -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 01:06:02 -0500

Anonymous User wrote:

> Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

> I agree that this reaches to everyone with a job. I have had some recent experience with this type of issue. Within the last few months I have gotten streppe throat 5 times, which means being home sick quite often. I went back to work as soon as I could but I still missed quite a few days of work. I was quite surprised when I got an informal review that indicated my work was not adequate since I missed a deadline.

I'd reply off-line but Anonymous makes that difficult.

For what is worth, I had fourteen cases of strep throat in eight years of
working
in the same small department. Several doctors at the medical school told me that
more than three occurrences of strep throat in a three year period indicates
that
a strep throat carrier was working in my department. The odd thing is that the
carrier would seldom, if ever, get strep throat.

Strep throat can be a quick killer (it killed Jim Henson (sp?), creator of
Kermit
of the Frog and other Muppets.) It needs to be treated promptly! Jim contracted
strep throat and 4-5 days later, he was dead. Also, in its first 3-4 days, strep
is very contagious. By returning to the office despite your illness, you may
cause the others to become very ill, too. Never, ever feel guilty about staying
home with strep throat. Advise your manager to ask his or her personal physician
about the dangerous and contagious aspects of strep.

If you leave or obtain a transfer, it's very possible your cases of strep throat
will stop. Then again, your strep might be caused by contact with a new friend,
lover, or car-pooler.

Good luck.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=