Re: Scanning Latin: best OCR software & scanner hardware?

Subject: Re: Scanning Latin: best OCR software & scanner hardware?
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 09:35:19 -0500

Hallo:

My best guess is you will not find what you want. Having said that, OmniPage
Pro is the best OCR software I have used. Bear in mind that, with perfect
copy, the accuracy of the best OCR software may only be around 90 percent.
With a decorative serif font and, perhaps, a poor-quality copy, you will
have much manual re-typing to do.

I am not sure what your expectations are. A friend of mine once asked me to
troubleshoot his "broken" OCR software. The free, lite-version of the
software was being used to scan small (9pt.?) serif font on a bad copy on
which the paragraphs were not square with the page (rotated 15 degrees or
so). The OCR software had successfully scanned, maybe, 80%. I was amazed. My
friend was disappointed and thought the software "broken."

Good luck.

Sean

[SNIPPPPPPPPP]

>>>Anyone have any ideas, either for the software/hardware or
>>>other issues?

>>>carls -at- cyberus -dot- ca
>>>Technical Writer and Designer......................deep in
>>>Silicon Tundra
>>>Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.........................1 hr 40 min
>>>from Montreal
>>>Carl's "Text and Subtext" Web
>>>Page..................www.cyberus.ca/~carls

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=