Re: Two Questions

Subject: Re: Two Questions
From: Jerry Kenney <gmkenney -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 21:30:40 -0500

I am disturbed by what Linda Castellani wrote:

> 2. I just got a manual back from the printer who used our Word file to
> produce the document. On one page there is an orphan that I had carefully
> removed from the original by shaving off points before and points after
> paragraphs on the preceding page. I'm not all sure why the orphan came
> back, but what I'm wondering from all of you is, how critical are you in
> reviewing writing samples? If you saw a widow or an orphan in a document,
> would you not consider the candidate? I'm trying to decide whether this
> document goes in my portfolio or not. Am I worrying needlessly?

What about the product itself? If it were worth your effort to trim the orphan before you sent
it off to the printer, is it not also worth your effort to track the problem, determine its
cause, and possibly correct it in the work piece before worrying about a portfolio piece?

BTW, the reason the orphan came back is that different printer drivers treat the letter forms,
sizes, and spacing in the same fonts slightly differently. To avoid this problem in the
future, load the exact same printer into your machine and set it as the default on your final
edit, the one you will save to send off to the service bureau.

Now, then, what is critical to your portfolio, how well you write or what the final work looks
like?

Jerry Kenney

begin:vcard
n:Kenney;Jerry
tel;fax:407-282-5650
tel;home:407-282-0085
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
version:2.1
email;internet:gmkenney -at- mindspring -dot- com
fn:Jerry  Kenney
end:vcard