Document management

Subject: Document management
From: "William Grega, Jr." <WGrega -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 22:32:38 -0500

I did a Document Management project on my current jobsite. There was not a budget for the big, dedicated tools out there. We had to come up with something clever. After a bit of research, I recommended Microsoft Visual Sourcesafe as the tool for our "Document Control System." Sourcesafe was already in place on many machines (especially the developers'), and the license was in-place.

The end-users have been quite impressed and very happy across a broad spectrum of end-user (QA, Product Development...hey, we even use it in Documentation!)

We created a document management database on a dedicated server that we back up nightly. And you can enact a very strict security scheme (passwords, foldered departments can only access their own files, etc). Used with an intranet and it becomes a powerful tool.

I can give you more details if you want to respond offline.

Will Grega
Technical Writer, NYC