Re: Samples on Web pages

Subject: Re: Samples on Web pages
From: Mary McWilliams Johnson <mary -at- SUPERCONNECT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 15:11:52 -0600

Unless you're thinking of seeking work from all over the world, I see
little reason to post samples of your tech writing work on the Web. You can
do that, of course, and if you are able to present your work attractively,
it might save you some time, trouble, and postage in presenting your
portfolio to prospective employers. Just realize that you're publishing
something that the entire world can access just for the benefit of a very
limited number of viewers.

My personal advice is that such a site should not contain any personal
information, such as your phone number or address. (There are unscrupulous
folks who seek such information so they can exploit you in some way.) An
email address is quite sufficient. And, like all personal sites, you must
resist the temptation to just whomp up a site with a lot of jazzy colors
and little borrowed GIF animations and stuff. Keep it simple, dignified,
and professional-looking.

I chose to develop a site called WordSmith Workshop that has a dual
purpose--to deliver valid information and to show off my writing ability
plus (I hope) my skills in design and Web-weaving:
http://www.superconnect.com/wordsmit/

Other writers have put up sites that give advice to writers of various
genres. This sort of thing is calculated to set you up as an authority of
sorts; in other words, such sites go beyond offering an on-line portfolio.
You might take a look at:

http://www.tdandw.com/

http://web.bentley.edu/empl/c/rcrooks/

Cordially, Mary McWilliams Johnson
McJohnson Communications
Documentation / Web Site Design, Development and Graphics
http://www.superconnect.com
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=