Re: a beginner's html-editor?

Subject: Re: a beginner's html-editor?
From: Gerry Bourguignon <GBourgui -at- LAVASYS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 12:26:31 -0500

Before getting into tech writing, I delivered SGML classes for a few years.
My employer was an SGML software vendor, so of course I used their SGML
editing tool in the classroom. I always made certain that the students
understood that SGML authoring was not tied to any particular tool, and that
you could create perfectly good SGML in a text editor. However, when they
put together a fairly complex table with the editor and then viewed the
'code', they were usually quite glad that they weren't 'forced' to use a
text editor!

I think that a combination of wysiwyg editors and text editors should be
used to teach HTML editing (or any other markup language for that matter),
and that creating a simple 'tagged' document in Notepad, for example, is a
useful exercise.

--
Gerry Bourguignon
Lone Technical Writer