Take A Pill

Subject: Take A Pill
From: "William Grega, Jr." <WGrega -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 15:01:18 -0500

I am a Technical Writer. I’m good at it, and I love it. I’m also a published author of two books. Though I have a deep technical programming background and have always been the guy who took on techwriting chores when they came up, it’s only in the last year that I’ve had a FT job where I’m explicitly defined as a techwriter.

But I have concerns about the profession.

In fact, every other day, I work on Oracle DBA Certification. Why? Job security, good pay, high demand. But, studying is a monster, a real brain- and time-drain.

My partner is wondering if I’m crazy. I’d love to just relax in the techwriting field, do what I do well, and get on with my life.

One big concern I have: with every new project, you are learning a product or process from scratch. It’s like always going back to square one. I am aware that’s part of the job; we have to ask the dumb questions. But, if you’re not able to specialize in a particular technology as a contractor, how do you sell yourself to a company who prefers a technical speciality you don’t have (for instance, MVS or Microsoft Messaging).

So, am I being insecure? Or careful to cover my butt with this Oracle thing? I don’t have many peers I know personally in the field. Can anyone offer any advice...to either one of my personalities?

Does anyone else share my concerns about the next contract being there? (I’m thinking of going into contract work).

I’m taking my pill now.

WG