Re: resumes and cover letters

Subject: Re: resumes and cover letters
From: "Meek, DavidX L" <davidx -dot- l -dot- meek -at- INTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 15:40:56 -0800

Among other things, Erin Kampf wrote:

>>>However, I think it is downright rude when you have actually
interviewed for a position, and despite repeated phone inquiries, you never
hear anything back from the employer. You just have to assume you didn't get
the position.

This has happened to me a couple of times in the past and it doesn't entice
me to ever submit my application to that company again. To my thinking, it
is not a good business practice and must be a reflection on the company.

By and large, I agree with you. Keep in mind that *you* are also
interviewing *them,* and they need to meet your expectations as well as you
meeting theirs. If your local market conditions are good, you can be afford
to be highly selective.

You can mitigate the conditions you described by submitting your resume in a
Sherwin-Williams approach: "Cover the globe." Employers are casting wide
nets with their ads; you can cast just as wide a net with your resume.
Until I get a signed piece of paper, I don't shut off any potential
employers. Sometimes funding for a position dries up, sometimes it's filled
before the ad expires, and sometimes the ad is simply camouflaging a
company's market research. Lots of different things can happen, so you need
to protect yourself. Unless you *really, really* want that particular job,
I wouldn't recommend you stop your job search until you have a signed
contract.

Dave
(Any statements made above are mine, and mine alone.)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=