Re: Resume and Coverletter Game (I'm Appalled)

Subject: Re: Resume and Coverletter Game (I'm Appalled)
From: Debbie Warren <dwarren -at- DTECHS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 14:14:51 -0600

Wayne writes:

>Ultimately it boils down to this. If some jerk *really* thinks that salting
>one's food before eating it is a reasonable way to separate good candidates
>from bad, then I don't want to work there.

Your comment really made me laugh. It reminds me of one of my past interview
experiences. Here's the story for those who are interested.

Many, many moons ago....

I didn't get a technical writing position once because I was a women and
turned down their lunch invitation. The interviewees, a group of women,
wanted to know if I could lift and move computers. (The job that I was
interviewing for included training duties that required classroom setup.) I
said, " I can move computers if I have a cart." I don't think they believed
me.

I turned down their invitation because I was interviewing on my vacation day
and had planed to eat lunch with a friend. I bet if I had accepted it, they
would have watched every bite I took to see if I could lift the fork. I
probably would have gotten the job too. Every once in awhile I'll think
about that interview. It was a learning experience I'll never forget. ---
Always go to lunch when asked.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=