Re: Torn-Edge Screenshots

Subject: Re: Torn-Edge Screenshots
From: "Parks, Beverly" <ParksB -at- EMH1 -dot- HQISEC -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 13:01:41 -0700

> With Jason's wonderful Photoshop instructions as my inspiration, I went in
> to see what I could do in Paint Shop Pro (I don't have Photoshop). So for
> you PSP users, here's another method. This may not be the best way to
> accomplish it, but it was really quick and easy. (Don't anybody grade me
> on these instructions.)

For Windows users of Paint Shop Pro 5.

1. Capture your screen image in PSP.
2. Use the point-to-point cropping tool to crop the area you want to use,
creating the jagged edges where you want them.
3. With the cropped area selected, press Ctrl-C to copy the selected area to
the clipboard.
4. Choose New to create a new, blank image with a white background. Give it
dimensions large enough to hold the cropped image.
5. Press Ctrl-E to paste the selection from the clipboard into the new
image.

To create a shadowed edge:
6. Move the selection into the image so that you can see the whole thing,
but do not de-select the image.

For a black shadow:
7a. Choose Colors > Adjust > Hue/Saturation/Lightness and move the Lightness
slider to -100. Press OK.
For a gray shadow:
7b. Choose Colors > Adjust > Brightness/Contrast and move the Contrast
slider to -100. Press OK.
(Note: The affects of these adjustments may depend on the colors in your
original screen shot, I don't know. If the -100 setting doesn't give you
black or gray as it did for me, you might have to play around with other
color settings.)

8. De-select the shadow image and press Ctrl-E again to paste another copy
of the cropped image.
9. Position the cropped image over the shadow to get the effect you want.
When it's where you want it, de-select the image.

10. Crop the entire new image if necessary to get rid of excess white area.
11. Save the image.

I put these two samples out on the web at
http://www.primenet.com/~cloudbow/temp/tornedge.html

In my haste, I only created the torn edge on one side, but of course you can
make any number of sides or the whole thing look torn if you wanted to.

Bev, who appreciated the deviation from her work. :)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=