Re: Tech Writing Tests

Subject: Re: Tech Writing Tests
From: Kathy Das gupta <kdasgupt -at- NOTES -dot- CC -dot- BELLCORE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 10:29:13 -0500

When I interviewed with the consulting/contracting agency for which I now
work, they gave me a test of sorts. They gave me a piece of paper with a
screen capture of an application that I may or may not have seen before
(although I had used the app before). They then sat me in front of a PC and
gave me 45 minutes to document the screen as best I could (using the word
processor of my choice). I did not need to know what the icons, buttons,
menus, etc were really for - I could make it up.

In evaluating how I did, they looked for organization, spelling, grammar,
use of the appropriate technical terms, ability to work under pressure/time
limit, etc. Personally, I thought it was a good test. I got a chance to
show them firsthand how I work, and they got a sample that they can be sure
I wrote.

Kathy Das Gupta
Tech Writing Consultant
Currently Posted at Bellcore