Benefits of hiring interns?

Subject: Benefits of hiring interns?
From: "Geoff Hart (by way of \"Eric J. Ray\" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>)" <ght -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 06:58:47 -0700

David Castro is <<..sold on hiring an intern. But, I'm currently
working on a proposal for hiring this individual, and can't think of
what to put in the "what's in it for us" section...>>

A few thoughts:

1. Kharma: The satisfaction of knowing that you've helped someone
else begin to make their way in the world. Even if you don't buy into
the whole kharma thing, I've always found mentoring to be a deeply
satisfying experience.

2. Khorporate kharma: Some useful PR for your company.

3. If you plan to expand in the future and the intern seems
trainable and skillful, you can hire the person without having to
hold a competition for the job, knowing that they're capable of doing
the work and are familiar with your products.

4. New blood, new ideas. (In particular, if it's a student, they're
likely more up to date on the latest and greatest than you are. I
always find this humbling but nonetheless enriching.)

5. Government subsidies for hiring students, the unemployed, or
people re-entering the workforce? (Common in some jurisdictions, rare
in others.)

<<inexpensive labor that can handle some of the more tedious tasks>>

Guess that tells me which side of the Mason-Dixon line you were
living on in a previous life! <gdrlh>
--Geoff Hart @8^{)} Pointe-Claire, Quebec
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Patience comes to those who wait."--Anon.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=