Re: How do you respond to job ads?

Subject: Re: How do you respond to job ads?
From: Marianne Bowen <mbowen -at- IMCI -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 10:58:47 -0500

> 1. Am I right in thinking that technical writers should "know better?"

Yes, I think everybody should know better. But I think some people
feel that their experience should speak for itself.

> 2. When a job ad asks for work samples, what would keep you from
> submitting them? If you wouldn't submit them, would you explain why not?
> If you wouldn't explain, please tell me why.

I have in the past not submitted work samples. I started out working
in government jobs and all the information was confidential. Even today the
information I work with is proprietary and I would need special permission
to use it for work samples. But I would certainly note why there are no work
samples attached.

> 3. When applying for a job via e-mail, do you write a cover letter,
> either as a separate file or in the body of your e-mail? If you don't,
> why don't you?

The body of my e-mail is the cover letter. It is much shorter then
the hardcopy cover letters used to be, basically just mentioning the job,
where I saw the ad, and my reason for being interested in he position.

> 4. When applying for a job via e-mail, how do you prefer to attach a
> resume: as text in the e-mail body or as an attached document? What
> steps do you take to ensure the resume is clean (no unintended line
> breaks, etc.) at the receiving end?

I attach both, a .txt file and a word document. I do not take any
steps to ensure that the resume looks "clean", when a company needs .txt
format they generally know that there won't be any fancy formatting. As far
as Word goes, I ensure that the document is well formatted, but I can not
know which printer is being used at the receiving end, and I expect the
reader of the document to be aware of this.

> Peace,
> jim
>
> jim grey \ Documentation Manager
> Made2Manage Systems, Inc. \ jgrey -at- made2manage -dot- com
>
> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=
> =

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=