Re: "Ripped" borders for screenshots?

Subject: Re: "Ripped" borders for screenshots?
From: Wayne Douglass <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 15:12:46 -0800

Geoff wrote:

>> The easiest way to create a "ripped" border for a portion "ripped"
>> out of a larger screenshot is to use some of the clipart borders
>> available from Imageclub (www.imageclub.com?) and other third-party
>> suppliers.

David M. Brown replied:
>Maybe so, but the *cheapest* way :) is to use the spray tool (in
>Paintbrush or any other paint program) to spray white along the edge you
>want to look "ripped." After a couple of practice runs, you can get a
>pretty convincing effect.

This strikes me as an instance of the fallacy of misplaced concreteness.
Why use any "ripped" effect at all? The end user will know that a
particular image is part of a larger screen without these cues.

--Wayne
Wayne Douglass phone: 408-542-2139
Verity, Inc. FAX: 408-542-2040
894 Ross Road mailto:wayned -at- verity -dot- com
Sunnyvale, CA 94089 http://www.verity.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=