Re: Words to be avoided

Subject: Re: Words to be avoided
From: Matt Craver <MCraver -at- OPENSOLUTIONS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 16:45:42 -0500

Tom Brophy [tom -at- TCRAFT -dot- COM] wrote:
> the following was reported in Ireland on Saturday last ...
>
> <http://www.irish-times.com/irish-times/paper/1999/0130/wor7.html>
http://www.irish-times.com/irish-times/paper/1999/0130/wor7.html

> Without getting into the merits or otherwise of editing one's text
to =
> avoid this kind of issue, is there a list somewhere of words which
might =
> potentially get a writer into this kind of a scenario?

Ahhh, I see this little imbroglio has made its way across "The Pond". Race
relations in Washington, DC are a bit of a mess, as you may have gathered
from the article. But to answer your question, You may be interested in:

Forbidden American English
by Richard A. Spears
List Price: $5.95
Amazon.com's Price: $4.76 (paperback)

This is a dictionary of "highly offensive and often inflammatory words". It
does not, by the way, mention the word used by Mr. Howard.
-Matthew Craver,
Documentation Supervisor
Open Solutions Inc.
Mcraver -at- opensolutions -dot- com