Re: Formal vs. informal style?

Subject: Re: Formal vs. informal style?
From: John Boland <JohnMethod -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 14:58:50 EST

Hiya,

I know that this is water 'way under the bridge for you copy generators, but
Rowena Hart writes:

<<One of the easiest ways to check the clarity of your writing is to read it
aloud. Problems that your eyes skip over will have your tongue tripping and
hesitating. You'll quickly notice redundancies, passive voice, logic errors,
and poor word choice. If you can read an entire document aloud without
difficulty, you're on your way to simple and elegant language.>>

Amen....and you might find a text-to-speach translator helpful. Being a
gunslinger (consulting engineer), I have no one else to "proof" my copy. It
is amazing how stupid a report can sound when "Fred" reads it dispassionately.
I find it quite effective even if I am involved in something else.

The mechanism of representing ideas in words seems to doom us, the
linguistically limited, to reading what we thought we said.

Old quote by ex-president of Stanford U:
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure
you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Anyway....give "Fred" a shot. 8^D

John G. Boland, president
Strateg!c Method$ Corporation
One Parker Square Suite 408