Re: Best Books for Learning Online Help ??

Subject: Re: Best Books for Learning Online Help ??
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- ILE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 08:39:23 -0700

Deborah writes:

> (1) Do you have any suggestions regarding the best books for a beginner to
> learn to produce online help documentation?

*Developing Online Help for Windows 95* by Boggan, Farkas, and
Welinske--ISBN# 185032211-2
*Designing Windows 95 Help* by Deaton and Zubak--ISBN# 0-7897-0362-9

William Horton's book on designing online documentation is also a good
choice.

> (2) What software applications would you say are most in demand (e.g.,
> RoboHelp) for producing online help?

RoboHelp is very common, as are ForeHelp and Doc-to-help. I typically don't
use help authoring tools (HATs) because they put in extra stuff that I don't
need or want. With some planning, you can put together a set of macros that
can speed up the development process. You can do quite a bit with Microsoft
Help Workshop and Word alone.

Bill Burns - Eccentric Technology Consultant
ILE Communications Group
billdb -at- ile -dot- com
Call me fishmeal.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=