Re: The Sponge (was employer's mistaken job requirements)

Subject: Re: The Sponge (was employer's mistaken job requirements)
From: Scott Miller <smiller -at- PORTAL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 09:03:11 -0800

I dunno... I see this trend in Andrew Plato's posts where he's just getting
less and less abrasive, which is not nearly so entertaining. The corrupting
influence of the list, I guess. Anyway, much agreement on the sponge idea,
although I would stress this aspect:

> Good detectives are able to handle immense amounts of data. They can sift
> through
> mountains of ideas, evidence, and discussions to locate the core
> issues that comprise a case.

That is, when being a sponge, you have to know which information to absorb.
I've seen a lot of docs that include tons of information; the writer was
obviously a superb sponge, but sponged the wrong stuff. This comes from
attempting to document things, as opposed to helping the user accomplish
goals.

- Scott M
smiller -at- portal -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=