Re: Best way to indent in HTML

Subject: Re: Best way to indent in HTML
From: "Jessica N. Lange" <jlange -at- OEE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 07:42:14 -0500

I use tables a LOT on our intranet for this purpose. Works great, but:

- on really old Netscape browsers on UNIX, terrible things happen.
(Everyone's upgraded, so it's no longer a worry for me.)

- from what I understand about how browsers draw pages, they do not
display a table until the entire table has loaded. If you make an entire
page that is a table, the viewer may see nothing at all for an unacceptably
long time.

Another suggestion is to use <div></div>. Multiple nested div tags seem to
work well. I don't know what version of HTML supports <div>, but when I
check the results in Nav 3, Communicator 4, and IE 4, the results of the

(BTW, when I save MSWord files as HTML, Word always uses <div> tags to
emulate the wide left margins I use in printed docs. Of course, my next step
is to use Homesite to strip out most tags, but that's cause I use CSS on the
intranet docs.)

HTH,
Jessica

Jessica N. Lange mailto:jlange -at- oee -dot- com
Technical Communicator, Ohio Electronic Engravers, Inc.

Scott Miller asked:

I want to indent text between headings in HTML, like this:

Heading
Bunch of text.
Heading
Bunch of text.