Re: Best way to indent in HTML

Subject: Re: Best way to indent in HTML
From: Lisa Higgins <Lisa -dot- Higgins -at- LEVEL3 -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 16:54:58 -0700

It probably won't rip the time-space continuum and open a portal to some
sort of Alternate Universe where Spock and Kirk have little goatees or
anything, but different browsers might format these things in unexpected
ways.

You could do this:

<H1>Heading</H1>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Bunch of text.
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Bunch of text.

...which has a little more 'integrity,' if you know what I mean. I mean, not
to say that you aren't just a despicable human being for trying to use HTML
to format text, but at least that uses a formatting concession of HTML,
rather than violating the sanctity and integrity of decent and virtuous
conceptual tags such as <BLOCKQUOTE> and <UL>.

Also, you're being very clear about what you want here, and as such, you can
be fairly certain that pretty much every browser will interpret it the same
way.

Your Friend,
The Evil Lisa, with a little goatee and a black turtleneck.

> I want to indent text between headings in HTML, like this:
>
> Heading
> Bunch of text.
> Heading
> Bunch of text.
>
> This can be done in a couple of ways:
>
> <H1>Heading</H1>
> <BLOCKQUOTE>
> <P>Text
> </BLOCKQUOTE>
> <H1>Heading</H1>
>
> or
>
> <H1>Heading</H1>
> <UL>
> <P>Text
> </UL>
> <H1>Heading</H1>
>
> Which is best? Any dangers to either method?
>
> TOPIC RUDDER: I acknowledge that both of the methods above
> are probably
> crappy HTML, and even worse, they attempt to use HTML as a formatting
> language, which is bad bad bad. However, I don't care. I just
> want to know
> if terrible things will occur if I use that coding.
>
> Thanks,

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=