Re: .pdf files associated with Notepad

Subject: Re: .pdf files associated with Notepad
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- ILE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 10:41:24 -0700

Elise writes:

> We deliver our documentation in Adobe Acrobat, and periodically folks
> report that they "tried to open a document and it looked like garbage."
> When I investigate, it always turns out that files with the .pdf
> extension have somehow become associated with Notepad rather than the
> Acrobat Reader. I know how to fix the file association problem--in
> fact, I've become an expert--but I don't know what is causing the
> problem to occur so frequently, or how to prevent it. Any ideas?

My guess is that these folks don't have Reader installed. They probably try
to view the file, then associate it with Notepad when prompted to select a
viewing application. The first question to ask is whether they have Acrobat
Reader installed. If the association isn't being created during Reader's
installation, then they should either edit the file association in the
Explorer options or reinstall Reader and let the installer handle it.

Bill Burns - Eccentric Technology Consultant
ILE Communications Group
billdb -at- ile -dot- com
Call me fishmeal.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=