Re: Powerpoint is overkill for manuals!

Subject: Re: Powerpoint is overkill for manuals!
From: Mark Baker <mbaker -at- OMNIMARK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 10:17:29 -0500

Tim Altom wrote

>I can't think of
>anything less suited for modern manual production, unless it's Access,

I can't think of anything in the Office suite that is more suitable to
modern manual production than Access. We use Access to do media neutral
authoring and then do simultaneous delivery to PostScript, PDF, WinHelp, and
HTML. Presentation in each media is appropriate to that media. The entire
production process for all media takes about 4 hours.

>although even Access isn't a dead end; I can use it to hold tagged text, at
>least.

Holding tagged text is what we use it for, but it is holding tagged text in
a highly structured format that is the key. I would call all media-bound
authoring techniques dead ends.

---
Mark Baker
Manager, Technical Communication