Distributing dot files via the intranet

Subject: Distributing dot files via the intranet
From: Jeroen Hendrix <jhe -at- POLYDOC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:54:23 +0100

Dear all,

I have a question about distributing Word templates via an intranet. The
problem is that we want users to obtain the latest and approved versions of
the template from every possible location. There are users that are not
connected to each and every server in the organization, but do have access
to the intranet. The idea is that we should be able to deliver the
dot-files trough http.
The problem is that we don't want users to download and save these files to
their hard disk (for version control issues), but we would like to see that
once the appropriate dot is selected, Word automatically opens with the
template. The trouble is that IE4 integrates Word with the browser, thus
not starting the actual Word program, and that Netscape has no clue what to
do with it. In both browesers we've defined the proper application,
extension and MIME-type, so that's not the problem, I've searched the net
for plugins and the like, but still haven't found what I'm looking for. Is
this such an outrageous idea or is there an easy solution? Your help is
much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeroen Hendrix
PolyDoc