Employers' Mistaken Job Requirements

Subject: Employers' Mistaken Job Requirements
From: Elizabeth Vollbach <bethvollbach -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 13:46:28 -0800

Hi. I used to read TECHWR-L regularly, then stopped for a few years. So
I'm sure during the time I was gone you must have discussed this. It's
such a big concern of mine, though.

How can we convince employers who are looking to hire a tech writer that
their primary concern should not be with the software programs a tech
writer has experience using? that a technical writer is not, primarily,
a typist?

I got a copy of FrameMaker and taught it to myself in less than a week.
I got a copy of FrontPage 98 and taught it to myself in a week. I
learned Visio by myself in less than a day. I haven't done the same with
RoboHelp because it's so darned expensive, but I know this would be a
similar case.

How can we convince employers that today's software is easy and can be
learned quickly, and a good technical writer can't be defined by her
software experience? A good writer is a good writer, right?

But take a look at the want ads. Every tech writer ad specifies right
away which software the tech writer should have experience with and
which degree they should have. Somehow employers see value in a college
degree, but why when their other concern is just software experience?

Beth

--
http://www.evansplumbing.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=