Re: ANON: My replacement

Subject: Re: ANON: My replacement
From: Tom Herme <hermet -at- DNINEVADA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 08:47:21 -0800

Good for you, Anonymous. You are making good faith efforts to assist this
company. They aren't listening. That's their choice.

I worked one place where the other tech. writer left. The manager brought in a
temp. who was finishing an assignment with the purchasing dept. This person was
only temping because her independent mortgage broker sideline business wasn't
paying the bills. I tried to talk to the manager about what it was he wanted in
the position with the hope that he would see things more as I did. He was more
concerned that the person looked right (read, felt right) to him. The person
had never done this kind of work before or anything even remotely related to
it. So he used her as a temp for three months then hired her. One day shortly
after he hired her, she and I were just talking, and she said that she always
disliked English classes in school. I had to crank my jaw up from the floor
where it fell when I heard this.

This is the same manager who pays lip service to the goals of best practices in
the modern technical communication world. I would attempt to push ideas such as
usability and task analyses--all to no avail. Shortly after he hired the temp,
I was gone. I figure that I tried, the company wasn't interested, there was
nothing more I could do. Just the way it goes.

Tom

--
Tom Herme

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=