Re: ANON: My replacement

Subject: Re: ANON: My replacement
From: "Thiessen, Christopher E" <Christopher -dot- E -dot- Thiessen -at- CERIDIAN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:05:06 -0500

"Anonymous" wrote earlier, expressing concerns about finding a
replacement for his company's evaporating technical writing
company:

Greetings!

First, you apparently have a good deal of loyalty, which is admirable
but, in this case, may be misplaced. The company has already shown
its "nickel & dime" mentality by replacing one writer with an admin
assistant. Not to suggest that the transition is impossible (I've been
responsible for turning a non-writer into a writer, so the task can be
done, and effectively), but it demonstrates a critical lack of vision
and understanding of what you do. You are to be commended for
sticking your position out as long as you have, and you are doing
right in moving along towards more money and more structure.

When you talk with the head of the department, suggest again that
a qualified individual who is familiar with the work a writer does
conduct the search for one or more replacement writers (the admin
assist, doubtlessly a wonderful person, is not going to be helpful in
this search). Express that you don't have time to help in this because
of your current workload (doing the work of two and attempting to
train someone else), but if they want to relieve you of that workload
you could help out. I would probably guess that if the company needed
another programmer, they would not hesitate to use a headhunter or
some kind of agency. A flat-out refusal to do that for a qualified writer
(which also suggests coughing up more bucks) simply reinforces that
the company is not committed to providing its customers with
quality products.

Remember, you've already got another job. Do not be brutal or harsh in
your conversation, but don't hold back any punches. Lots of time
companies cannot progress because they don't know what they're
doing wrong. You have the opportunity to help; whether your suggestions
are acted upon is, ultimately, no concern of yours.

Have fun at your new job!

Chris Thiessen
christopher -dot- e -dot- thiessen -at- ceridian -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=