Re: Me or I?

Subject: Re: Me or I?
From: Jeff Jansen <jsjansen -at- TELEPORT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 14:28:56 -0800

Actually, Laurel's assessment is not strictly correct. "Me" is *not* the
object of this sentence. It is a predicate complement. The subject "it" and
the predicate complement "I" refer to the same thing. An object is the noun
that receives the action of the verb. Predicate complements take the
nominative case of the personal pronoun (I, you, she, it, we, they, you):

I think it was *they* who called.
Yes, it is *I*.

Jeff Jansen | Modest Systems / Portland, Oregon, USA
| Superior Technical Communication in Ink and Pixels
| "We're pretty darn good, but we don't mention it."
| (503) 239-7520 www.teleport.com/~jsjansen

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=