Re: if then

Subject: Re: if then
From: "Meek, DavidX L" <davidx -dot- l -dot- meek -at- INTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 13:04:37 -0800

Not being a programmer, I always use your second choice (omission of
*then*). About a year ago, I read a grammar rule supporting this usage, but
the rule escapes me now. Still, the rule exists, and I'm sure someone on
this list will provide it.

-Dave
IT happens
(Any statements made above are mine, and mine alone.)

From: Brierley, Sean

Hallo

A discussion came up, yesterday, about using if coupled with then.
Unlike when I am programming, I rarely use the convention in my writing.
What do you folks on the list think?

Please note, I am interested specifically in whether the word "then"
ought to be added to the following type of construction.

If the keys are locked in the car, then break the window to get them.
If the keys are locked in the car, break the window to get them.

Which construction do you prefer and why? I use the second.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=