Re: Most common industries using Tech Writers??

Subject: Re: Most common industries using Tech Writers??
From: Christina Downs <DOWNS -at- SERVICEWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 13:15:06 -0500

In answering Deborah Crossman's question about TW industries, Paul Gerle
wrote (among other things):
Medical Writing - I have no idea, I've never done it. But there
seem to
be many writers who specialize in this.

Since you specifically asked about medical/science writing, Deborah, I just
started a class this semester at Carnegie Mellon (I'm pursuing my Master's
in Professional Writing) called Medical Communication. I'll learn more
about it as the semester progresses, but so far the class seems to focus a
lot on fostering communication between patients and providers and on
educating patients and communities.

Some of the different types of writing that are available for
medical/science writers are: newspaper writing, magazine writing, public
relations writing, scientific writing within organizations, journal writing,
pharmaceutical writing (I guess that would be those drug descriptions you
get when you pick up a prescription), freelancing. And we talked about a
variety of styles you can use (from research papers to case studies to
patient education brochures to entertaining and informative real-life
narratives about a person living with an illness). I'm sure there are many
other types of writing and design you can do, as well.

It sounds pretty varied. If anyone would like more information, I can ask
my professor if she would mind contacting you personally. I can also
probably provide more information later in the semester. This isn't my
specialty, but I'm sure I'll learn a lot in this class.

(I would also add Military Writing to the list of TW industries, unless that
falls under any of the other categories.)

Thanks.

Chris
Christina M. Downs
Technical Writer, Content Development
ServiceWare, Inc., Oakmont, PA
412-826-1158 X225
E-mail: downs -at- serviceware -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=