Bad translation...et je suis bilingue

Subject: Bad translation...et je suis bilingue
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- NBG -dot- DE>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 22:15:02 +0100

Hello Lisa,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von ComeauL -at- MOHYF-MX1 -dot- MOHDEV -dot- GOV -dot- ON -dot- CA an All am 2

CC> Translation is not a word-for-word match, which is all that
CC> software can do.

specialized tools ca do a bit more than that. But they have no imagination
what so ever and therefore they must be told what to do.

If you have to translate lots of parts lists you might be able to automate
thranslation considerably. But before you get any benefits you must do lots of
work.

But there are tools like "translation memory systems" which basically are data
bases that track whether you have translated a comparable sentence before.

CC> Remember the stories about poorly translated instructions that
CC> made it nearly impossible to follow???

These are a good part of what discredits technical writing as a whole - at
least over here.

CC> If you
CC> need the names of some translation firms,or where to start on
CC> getting estimates, please let me know off-line.

If you need a translator to or from German simply write your specifications in
an e-mail to

u-jobs -at- twh -dot- nbg -dot- de

This is the input address of a mailing list with nearly 500 participants. This
mailing list is special in the respect that discussions are forbidden. It
simply is a means to distribute requests for translators.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander

--
Alexander von Obert, Urbanstr. 2, 90480 Nuernberg, Germany
Free-lance technical writer (electronics, software)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=