Bad translation...et je suis bilingue

Subject: Bad translation...et je suis bilingue
From: "Comeau, Lisa" <ComeauL -at- MOHYF-MX1 -dot- MOHDEV -dot- GOV -dot- ON -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 10:28:15 -0500

Betsy Maaks said to Diane:
<snipetty snip snip>

Translation is not a word-for-word match, which is all that software can do.
There are subtleties that only humans can assess...even if you use software,
a person who knows both "language pairs", i.e., source language and target
language, needs to review the output.

Remember the stories about poorly translated instructions that made it
nearly impossible to follow???

I also recommend using native-language translators, not software. If you
need the names of some translation firms,or where to start on getting
estimates, please let me know off-line.

<snipetty snip snip>

Just for future reference, beware human translators as well.

This calls to mind an example of bad translating AND bad techwriting
performed by a TW who was supposedly a professional translator. In their
first language, the documentation for barbecue assembly read perfectly. In
their second language, it was riddled with things like

"Put bolt A into slot B and get screwed."

I am bilingual, but I still have trouble with technical terms, and so I
avoid doing bilingual (or translated) documentation wherever possible.
Sometimes it can't be avoided, and I have to, so I do. (A girl's gotta
eat...)

I could easily make a great living at translating documentation (especially
here in Canada where both of the languages I speak appear on basically
every product we make and sell)and I could probably put on my resume that I
am a professional document translator, but that doesn't mean I would get
things right.

Fortunately, I'm honest about my less-than-perfect technical translation
ability. Some others may not be. Get a good firm with a good reputation, and
if possible, use their name in the documentation. "This document translated
from original Swahili by 'The Trans-Laters'."

So, although, in theory, I completely agree with what Betsy has said, I hope
she would agree that you should make sure you check credentials and get
examples of the translator's work. If possible, have someone who speaks the
translated language (and understands the basics of what the documentation is
about) read the document before you pack up the product and send it off. A
little more expensive, but definitely worth it in the long run...

Ca c'est ma deux cents.

Lisa Comeau
Somewhere in Ontario...while her heart's in Nova Scotia

"Hey! Let's go to the beach! I hear TECHWR-Lers are having a bonfire..."
-the Unknown Techwhirler

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=