ANON: Feature Incomplete Training Issues

Subject: ANON: Feature Incomplete Training Issues
From: Anonymous <anonfwd -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 04:30:27 -0700

Message forwarded on request. Please
reply on list.

****************************

I'm having trouble dealing with the following and would appreciate feedback.

I'm tasked with writing training for an internal tool. This tool, currently
in development, is scheduled for deployment on 2/1/99. I've got an outline
of the training materials set. I've written some of the documentation. I'm
scheduled to give pre-launch training on 1/22/99.

The problem is that the software is not feature complete. Some of the most
basic tasks don't work because they are not yet implemented or are buggy.
The developer has promised a version of the software that I can use for
training by 1/21/99. This version will allow me (and users) to do some basic
tasks on 1/22/99--enough to get them started with the software in
anticipation of the 2/1/99 launch date.

I'm reluctant to provide training and documentation with such a short window
of time facing me. My manager is supportive, yet I don't feel comfortable
with the present schedule. I don't want to present the training and have the
software perform unexpectedly. QA is minimal on this product--I'm finding
more bugs than the QA person.

I feel like I'm in the position of a movie reviewer looking at storyboards
and writing a review of the finished product.

Advice?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=