Re: Canadian Spelling

Subject: Re: Canadian Spelling
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 10:07:30 -0500

I see from your email address, you are in Canada. Most definitely we have
Canadian spelling, always have had. An example would be the spelling of colour
(Cdn) vs. color (US). But before you think we just adopted British standards,
another example is the spelling of organization (Cdn) vs. organisation (UK).

I initially learned Canadian spelling in the school system here, and I don't
know what dictionary was used. The schools are now using the Gage Canadian
Dictionary. I have recently received my copy of the new Canadian Oxford
dictionary, and plan to use that as a definite authority on Canadian grammar
and spelling, after I've had a chance to review it.

I often have to switch between Canadian, American and British grammar and
spellings, and try very hard to keep them separate. The only concession I make
(my own rule) is for Canadian audience manuals; where there is not a clearly
defined Canadian rule, I default to the British rules, not the American.

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com
DISCLAIMER:
Any opinions expressed are MY opinions.
Feel free to have your own.
Let's agree to disagree
But Please - Don't Flame Me.

J. Fraser wrote:
> I curious to know how many Canadians have adopted "Canadian spelling"
> (whatever that is! :-) ) and have you chosen a specific dictionary
> such as the Gage Canadian Dictionary or the Canadian Oxford Dictionary?
> Thoughts? Thanks!

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=