Re: repost screen dumps in books

Subject: Re: repost screen dumps in books
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 15:27:44 -0600

In our previous episode, Brierley, Sean said:
> I am writing s/w release notes for VAX/VMS-based software. One of the
> items that programming wants is numerous screen dumps written into the
> release notes. By screen dump, I mean one or more screen of textual
> information, some of which are prompts at which the user types a
> response.

I had a similar problem when I was documenting an AS/400-based program
in Microsoft Word. I ended up creating a style for the screen dumps
that was in Lineprinter font (8-point, I think), indented, and with a
paragraph border. Once I set the options on Rumba (the software I
accessed the AS/400 with) not to replace space with tabs, all I had to
do was copy the screen, paste it into the document, and apply the
style. It looked fine, if a bit old-fashioned. The one thing that
was rather a nuisance was that all formatting (bold, underline, etc.)
was lost in the copy-and-paste, and I had to manually re-enter it.

Maybe your program doesn't do that, if you're lucky.

Beth Friedman bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"Long noun chains don't automatically imply security."
-- Bruce Schneier

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=