screen dumps in books

Subject: screen dumps in books
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 15:02:38 -0500

Hallo:

Anyone
have any thoughts on the best way to handle the following?

I am
writing s/w release notes for VAX/VMS-based software. One of the items
that
programming wants is numerous screen dumps written into the release
notes. By
screen dump, I mean one or more screen of textual information, some of
which are
prompts at which the user types a response.

I am
used to writing for Macs and Windows machines. In these environments I
am loathe
to reproduce screens in my documentation without great reason. I see
little need
for it. In the VAX/VMS software, it is pretty clear that the screen
dumps must
stay. I format them in Courier to mimic the fixed-width font the user
sees and
to provide a visual clue that this is not regular text. However, that is
not
enough. Programming wants the lines to wrap and align as they do on the
user's
terminal.

explained that the 4:3 width:height ratio of the screen made it
ill-suited for
reproduction on an 8 x 10 (after conservative margins) sheet. I offered
to make
the book landscape but that approach is not what anyone is looking for.
described that printed material did not lend itself well to the layout
seen
on-screen, including the use of both, attention span, idea that 4-inch
line
width may be an optimal target, etc. All very traditional.

From
the LISTSERV I am looking for general opinions about including screen
dumps.
Also, does anyone have a thought about how I should discuss this issue
with
those who want the screen dumps to mirror the screen?

Thanks.

Sean

sean -at- quodata -dot- com

_____________________

Sean Brierley
  Lead Technical
Writer Quodata Corp.
One Union Place
Hartford, CT 06103

sean -at- quodata -dot- com

--
Spam bait: postmaster -at- warez -dot- eu -dot- org,
abuse -at- warez -dot- phantom -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000