Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 11 Jan 1999 to 12 Jan 1999

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 11 Jan 1999 to 12 Jan 1999
From: "Hyde, Barb # IHTUL" <Barb -dot- Hyde -at- TULSA -dot- CISTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 11:22:21 -0600

> ----------
> From: Automatic digest
> processor[SMTP:LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU]

Sylvia,
20MB is awfully big for a brochure file.
Can you eliminate the background color JPG and just print the thing
on colored stock? Or perhaps set up a double run: Print a bunch of
background sheets and overprint with brochure text as needed. Either way,
your brochure should drop way down and go into a PDF easily.

A second approach is to handle the graphic elements differently. Are
you embedding all of your graphic elements in the DOC? That is not
necessary. We link to our graphics. The Word DOC file is much reduced and
Acrobat Distiller takes it just fine. The final PDF includes all graphics.

If linking does not work for you, the information I have from Kinkos
(They do a lot of printing from PDFs) is that if you make the PDF from the
linked DOC and include all of the referenced graphic files with the PDF, the
printing software will find the graphics and insert them at the appropriate
places.
Hope this helps!

>We are putting a bochure together that has to be camera ready so
that it
> >can be printed asap. The background (color) was done in photoshop and
> >saved as a jpg. file. It was then imported in word97. On that
> >background, we edited and formatted the text. The file is about 20 MB.
> >Impossible to create a pdf ANY IDEAS?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=