Re: What Standards?

Subject: Re: What Standards?
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 09:44:40 -0500

> From: Steven J. Owens [mailto:puff -at- NETCOM -dot- COM]
> Robert Maxey writes:
> > What standard does FP not follow?
>
> What standard *does* it follow? :-)
>
> Seriously, though, FP does not follow standard practice in how it
> uses HTML and how it lays out pages. HTML is a language that, like
> english, can be used to express the same thing in different ways.
> Front Page seems to find the most awkward way to express such things.
> Part of this is that Front Page tries to map Word's internal tag
> format to HTML, which is definitely not a one-to-one mapping. The
> rest of it seems to be simply Microsoft attitude.

The word "standard" means a couple of different things.
The W3C standards are formal, written standards. The "standard practice"
that Steve refers to is more of a tradition.

I haven't checked to see if the code generated by FrontPage exactly violates
the W3C standards. But the HTML code generated by FrontPage certainly does
not resemble the usual and customary HTML code generated by people familiar
with HTML.

---
Office:
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Home:
nax -at- execpc -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=