Re: UIE site (was FAQ Intranet site tips on visuals)

Subject: Re: UIE site (was FAQ Intranet site tips on visuals)
From: AlQuin <cbon -at- WXS -dot- NL>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 19:45:17 +0100

On 10-01-1999 14:46 John Posada wrote:

>>I'm sure that's the cause of all trouble: Microsoft Frontpage, the
>>garbaging editor...
>>You can compose nice-looking pages with it, but this editor does
>>definitely not follow the recognized HTML standards for compatible use;
>>the main concern for tech-writing.
>>

>Kees....I beg to differ.
>
>Following a standard is not the main concern for Tech-writing. Writing for
>the user is our main concern. Users don't care about standards. They care
>about doing what they need to do with the best instructions or information.
>Standards are a tool that we use in order to create that material when we
>don't know a better way to accomplish that goal. However, when we know a
>reason to deviate from the standard to better satisfy the need of the user,
>then we deviate from the standard and that is how standards evolve.

That's exactly the point what concerns me: "the ... tech-writing" was
meant being an adjective to 'compatible use' actually. Sorry, if I was
not clear enough.
See also my sig here and below the last message...

I think we totally agree

>I use FP98 and if I choose, can create web pages that adhere to recognized
>HTML standards...have created pages that passed all the validation program
>tests. However, I find that there are some attributes that I insist on using
>that fail validation...certain table width attributes. However, just because
>I insist on using them isn't the program's fault.

I do prefer some independent Web authoring program, like BBedit or
Pagemill, for anybrowser use.

Regards,
Kees de Bondt

AlQuin Total Quality