Real-world STC?

Subject: Real-world STC?
From: "Geoff Hart (by way of \"Eric J. Ray\" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>)" <ght -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 10:54:08 -0700

I missed the beginning of this thread, so I can't reply directly to
the originator. My two cents:

STC has for some time been caught on the horns of a dilemma: by
catering to the real-world needs of those of us who toil in the
trenches, the organisation lost a certain amount of respect from
those who repose at their ease <evil grin> in the ivory towers of
academe. On the other horn, by striving for academic respectability,
there was a strong risk of alienating non-academic members, who make
up the large majority of the membership. Before I attract too much
flame, let me emphasize that (i) yes, that's tongue in cheek, and
(ii) the difference between the working world and the academy, though
certainly real, is probably overemphasized.

Their current strategy seems to place them firmly between those
dangerous horns: _Intercom_ and the SIG newsletters provide a healthy
chunk of satisfying, practical information that often wouldn't pass
muster for a peer-reviewed journal, but that remains valid and useful
despite that "failing". _Technical Communication_ and (to some
extent) STC Press publications are peer-reviewed and meet the higher
standards of academia, without sacrificing a practical slant. If you
look at where both types of publications came from in years past,
you'll notice a dramatic change for the better. There's still work to
be done, no doubt, but on the whole, I think they're on the right
track.
--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Patience comes to those who wait."--Anon.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=