Re: Challenges facing tech writers

Subject: Re: Challenges facing tech writers
From: Scott Havens <SHavens -at- ELCOTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 10:54:30 -0500

Then John said:
> How many of these 17,000 actually work in the technical writing
> community OUTSIDE of academia?
>
> I think that that the STC would become more useful and better
> known if their publications were more oriented to real world, working
> tech communicators rather than a publishing forum for grad students.

I reply:

Strange, in all my years in STC, most of the people I've met
_have not_ been academics. They've been ordinary writers, editors,
illustrators... even <gasp> mid-level pubs and engineering managers. I
agree that theoretical studies of the psychological impact of white
space and font selections sometimes DO seem like so much abstract
rubbish from the "publish or perish" crowd; however, I also recognize
that in order to have a credible and respected profession, SOMEONE has
to build a scientific basis on which it can stand and (hopefully)
improve itself. I, too, favor practical articles that have immediate
applicability to the job I'm doing RIGHT NOW... but I'm glad those grad
students are out there, because my job skills sometime down the road may
depend on what they're thinking about today!

SRH

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=