Re: IDH Help Query

Subject: Re: IDH Help Query
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 08:17:09 -0600

Lesley-Anne Nelson asked:

>Quick query I have been reading up a little about this help for Dialog =
>Boxes. I have come across IDH_ that apparently has to be used as the =
>first four characters of a Topic. At the minute within my Help file I =
>have the topic set as IDD_SYSTEM_FORMAT. This doesn't work for me so I =
>am assuming that i have to do something with the IDH_ Beginning. Do I =
>add this to the front of my topic or do I substitute IDD for IDH. I am =
>not quite sure what the reasoning is for this but I do know I am really =
>stuck. Does someone have any idea what I'm going on about. I would =
>appreciate any help.

IDH_ and IDD_ are commonly used in code to designate resources. IDH_ is
commonly used as the identifier (the ID part) for a help resource (hence the
H), where IDD_ is used to identify a dialog box resource (hence the D).

Although it doesn't matter what identifiers are used, they must match with
something in the code. Visual code generators such as Visual C++ or RoboHelp
often default to this style of ID generation. For your help topic to "work,"
the ID of the help topic must match the ID the programmer or tool has
specified in the code. That may be why changing IDH to IDD didn't work. It
also means that changing the ID back to IDH_ MAY NOT work as the identifier
specified in the help file must match the identifier specified in the code.

Suggest you discuss this with the programmer. Also, read the documentation
for your specific help tool. Good luck!

Regards...Kris
kolberg -at- healtheon -dot- com
kris -at- olberg -dot- com