Re: new title: Information Developer

Subject: Re: new title: Information Developer
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 11:23:35 -0500

> From: Bill Swallow/commsoft [mailto:wswallow -at- COMMSOFT -dot- NET]
> This is almost as bad as the migration from "shellshock" to
> "post-traumatic stress disorder". ;-)

No, it's much worse. Being understood is our stock-in-trade. There is more
than a little irony in changing our title to something nobody understands.

What it's almost as bad as is the fact that walking into a hospital is one
of the best ways to catch something nasty that finds antibiotics tasty and
nutritious.

It is annoying when medical professionals are hard to understand outside
their own fields. When we are hard to understand, there is no reason to pay
us.

This is exactly what I meant when I wrote about getting past looking for
respect through titles and certificates and earning it through clarity.

I may "develop information" (whatever that means) and that's what my company
calls me. Not my idea or choice. Hey, as long as the checks clear, they can
call me whatever they want. But when I'm talking to someone outside my
company and profession, I call myself a tech writer. Because that way they
know what I'm talking about.

---
Office:
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Home:
nax -at- execpc -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=