Re: Challenges facing tech writers

Subject: Re: Challenges facing tech writers
From: Ed Gregory <edgregory -at- HOME -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 18:47:36 -0600

At 09:35 AM 1/6/99 -0800, George Beinhorn wrote:
>SNIP>
>
>I'd rather be called a tech "editor" and do the real work of
>clarifying and creating content.

I'd rather be called, "Ed".
I will let no official title define me. I am defined, in the eyes of my
clients, by the quality of the products I deliver.
When there is a meeting of SMEs, client team leaders, a walk-through,
whatever, I want someone to say, as someone did today, "Be sure to invite
Ed to the meeting."
Why? Because they know of my passion to understand the product or process.
My goal is to have SMEs who are delighted to learn I am the one working
with them on documentation. My job is to make the SME look good, to make
the product or process look good, to make the client look good, to make my
own employer look good. In the end, I look good in all of their eyes.
The only title I want is The Guy Who Won The Lottery.
Until then, Ed will do nicely. ;-}

Ed Gregory
http://www.members.home.net/edgregory/search1.htm

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=