Re: Logon question

Subject: Re: Logon question
From: Geoff Lane <geoff -at- GJCTECH -dot- FORCE9 -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 18:35:56 -0000

Stephanie Holland wrote:

We follow The Microsoft Manual of Style for this terminology:

log on to, log off, logon (adj)

"Use log on to to refer to connecting to a network and log off (not log off
from) to refer to disconnecting from a network. Do not use log in, log onto,
[rest snipped]
<<
---

In the definition for "onto", The Concise Oxford Dictionary states that "on
to" implies 'approaching' and "onto" implies contact. Consider, "We drove
on to the beach.", and "We drove onto the beach." Only in the latter case
had we arrived!

So, if logging on means 'approaching' the network then "on to" is correct.
However, if logging on means making contact with the network then "onto" is
correct.

Note that I'm British -- so YMMV.

Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK
geoff -at- gjctech -dot- force9 -dot- net

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=