Re: ANON: Re: Plagiarism

Subject: Re: ANON: Re: Plagiarism
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 14:48:50 -0600

> The suing company claims that their approach and the links they selected are
> copyrighted. In my opinion, the first claim amounts to copyrighting an idea
> that has been in the field for fifty years and is recorded in numerous
> textbooks--without copyright problems. The second part, the links, is a little
> trickier, I don't know to what extent the sued company's site used the same
> order, descriptions or groupings. I do know that any link list on this topic
> created by two different people would have extensive overlap. The sued company
> didn't want a legal battle and so chose to redo their site.

A simple list of links is no more "copyrightable" than a simple list of
street addresses or phone numbers. Any original content (such as
descriptions of the sites) would be protected by copyright, but not just
a list of facts (which is all a list of URLs is).

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Curriculum & Instructional Materials Center
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=