Re: MIF2RTF vs. Quadralay?

Subject: Re: MIF2RTF vs. Quadralay?
From: Frog Princess <frogprincess -at- ONLYMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 17:12:59 -0800

>I, too, have been considering these options, but since the company I work
>for has decided to standardize on RoboHelp, we pretty much have to go with
>that. Luckily, the latest version (7.0) is pretty user-friendly and easy
>use. (thank goodness)
>
>We're just starting to evaluate it, so we're not quite sure how easy it is
>to port files from FrameMaker to RoboHelp. If anyone has already done
this,
>please let us know; I'm sure many would be curious to hear your opinion. I
>know I would.

I'm using FrameMaker 5.5 to write manuals, and converting the Frame text to
RTF to use in RoboHelp 6.0. (I don't have version 7.0 of RoboHelp yet
because I'm afraid to convert to a new version in the middle of a project
with a pressing deadline.)

My frustration is that the cross reference and index tags in FrameMaker
aren't converted to "jumps" or index entries in RoboHelp. When I import the
RTF file, all the tags are converted to strings of text. I have to go
through and delete each one, then recreate the "jumps" and index in
RoboHelp. Very time consuming.

Here's an example of how Frame's index tags appear in RoboHelp:

Frequ{xe "test equipment required:frequency
counter;frequency:counter;counter, frequency;specifications:frequency
counter"}ency Counter

I like RoboHelp, but I don't like the extra steps required to import
FrameMaker documents.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=